Sunday, July 10, 2011

With a name like Hosaflook, you know it has to be good....huh?

So as everyone knows, one of the many reasons I love living in the country is all of the wonderful things nature just gives to us.  This time of year, ranking among my favorites are the wild berries.  First come wild strawberries if you can find them, then the Black Raspberries, next are the Wineberries and then finally the Blackberries.  Some people are even lucky enough to have wild blueberries growing where they live, but I have not found any of those around here.  This year, we picked what seemed like a huge amount of Black Raspberries, but then when it came down to making Jam with them, I only ended up with two pint jars.  That was a lot of picking for two stinkin jars of jam.  Oh well, it was delicious and it was the first time I had ever made Jam, so I was really, really happy and proud of myself. 
This morning, I woke Trevor up bright and early so he could go foraging for wineberries with Robby and I.  We were able to pick ALOT of wineberries.  I was surprised there were so many left because usually the birds or the deer eat them before we can go out on a weekend morning and pick them.  Trevor ate his fill  while we were picking, and I made a fruit salad to go with breakfast with wineberries, strawberries and kiwi.  Even after all of that, we had a ton left. 


So, I decided to make Jam again.  I felt like a pro this time since I had done it a whole one time before.  This time we had a lot more than just two pints.  6 pints and 5 half-pints to be exact.  Now I have never had Wineberry Jam before, but figure how bad can it be?  


Cooking down the wineberries with pectin and sugar.


I think these little jars are so pretty.  Especially with jeweled toned jam in them.


Finished product, now I just want to come up with a cute label for them.


















So, I don't really have a catchy name for our jam.  Smuckers Jelly has the catchy little phrase, "With a name like Smuckers, it has to be good."  So I guess that could be us too but somehow Hosaflook just doesn't sound as catchy.  But that is okay,  I would have a lawsuit on my hands anyway, and I really don't need that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment