My dear sewing machine is called Molly. As I explained to Kristina, when I was pregnant with my children, I always said that if I had a daughter her name would be Molly. Well 4 boys later, I still don't have a daughter, but I do have a sewing machine, and so she is Molly. She is the most girly thing I own and so I thought it was fitting she would get my non-existent daughter's name, hahahaha.
This weekend, Kristina was texting me pictures of projects she was working on. She just finds these little tutorials and away she goes. She and Vivian just produce all kinds of lovely things. Now understand, both Kristina and I are very new to sewing, me more new than she, so something as simple as a fabric bookmark make us pretty darn excited. Today, we both attempted eye glass cases. What an epic fail it was for me, and she had a bit of difficulty too with her first one, but she made a second one and it turned out just great. We got this idea from this website. I know it will look crazy simple to you seamstresses out there, but for Beanie and I, especially me, it was a challenge. But, I was real proud of myself and stuck with it to the end and learned what to do different next time not to make it so tough on me. So here is my work in progress on Molly. Notice how I have the laptop right on my sewing table so I can follow the tutorial step by step. Pretty pathetic huh?
So, I don't know exactly how this happened, but Kristina started her eye glass case a good hour of so after me, and finished a good hour or so before me. What the heck? Well, I guess it could be because I got side tracked and decided to make some Peach Hand Pies while in the middle of sewing, so I had to stop and go to the kitchen several times. They turned out really good along with the two mixed berry and peach puff pastries I made with some left over puff pastry dough.
Now back to the sewing, here is how Kristina's turned out:
See how Kristina's has that nice contrasting trim up top, I could not get mine sewed correctly so there is no nice contrasting trim on mine. And here is mine:
Oh well, my glasses do fit into it and until it falls apart, it will serve it's purpose just fine. I went a little too heavy on the batting, which is why I think I had so much trouble sewing the top, but I know for certain my glasses will be comfy and safe in this ultra cushioned glass case:)
It was a lot of fun sewing a little then texting Kristina to ask her how she managed her glass case so easily. It was almost as if we were sewing together again like last weekend. It is so much fun having someone else who is just learning to sew and for the most part is teaching their self. We want so BADLY to just be able to sew a piece of clothing, but I know for myself, I am a LONG way from doing that. But in the mean time, I am having a wonderful time with Molly, and Beanie is loving her Vivian. I now have a pillow cover, an eyeglass case and a fabric book marker under my belt. WOOOO HOOOO, I am GOOD!!!!!!! Hey, we all have to start somewhere right? If any of you know of any great sewing blogs that have good tutorials for newbies, like me, please send me the links!!!
Oh and before I sign off for the night, I have some exciting news to share with those of you who don't follow me on Facebook. I have a new job!!!!! I applied for a teacher's assistant position at a daycare at one of our nearby Universities. It is for the 2 year old classroom and as of this past Friday, I am now an employee of Shenandoah University and will get to spend 5 days a week with energetic 2 year olds who are certain to melt my heart. I applied for this job over a month ago and had just about given up hope when they emailed me on Wednesday and wanted me to come in for an interview. Once all the paper work is done, I will be starting later in the week. I am so looking forward to this new chapter in my life. I will miss not being home all day with the gardens and the chickies, but I knew this day would come and I am happy about it. I'll let you know how it goes.
Have a great week everyone and I hope you all find a little time to be creative and do what you LOVE!!!!!
XXOO
Debbie



Congratulations Debbie :)
ReplyDeleteWhat an exciting weekend you had...and hello to Molly! Those sewing machines are wonderful companions...I think I need to christen my machine... :)
How wonderful for the blessing of a new job. You'll find yourself excited, tired and excited once again. :) To see the world through a two year old is a true gift.
m.
nice post thanks for sharing i found you thrue other followers looking for to visit more blessings across the miles
ReplyDeletehi deb!
ReplyDeleteso happy i found your blog... I was actually looking through dottie angels blog (i too own her wonderful book) and came across your wonderful comment on her class saying you would sell the chickens in order to go! i thought your comments were wonderful and had to see who you were! I have enjoyed reading your blog, thank you...
warmly,
connie